Starting A Business in Isanti FAQs

Help is available if you are thinking about starting a business. For more information, contact the City of Isanti Economic Development Office at 763-444-5512. A helpful state website for Minnesota business information is here. To start, here are a few answers to some commonly asked questions:

Q. Do I need a business license to operate in Isanti?

A. It depends! Many businesses do not need a license. Licenses are required for selling liquor and for most contractor work or installation work in homes or businesses. Some businesses need a Conditional Use Permit per the City’s zoning ordinance. To be certain, please contact City Staff, we will be delighted to assist in answering your question.

For questions related to liquor, please contact Human Resources/City Clerk Katie Brooks by email or (763) 444-5512.

For questions on contractor and installation work, please contact MNSpect, LLC by email or (763) 444-5512.

For questions related to Zoning and other questions, please contact City Hall at (763) 444-5512.

Q. How do I get a federal or state I.D. number?

A. Check online at Positively Minnesota under Tax Identification Number under starting a business. To register for IRS federal I.D. number, call: (816) 924-5999 (form SS4) To register for Minnesota I.D. number, call: (651) 296-3781 (form MBA)

Q. How do I register a business name in Minnesota?

A. Call the Minnesota Secretary of State at (651) 296-2803 to check if a name is already in use, then formally request the name, and publish a notice in the newspaper. Check online at the Name Search link to search for business name availability.

Q. Can I operate a home-based business out of my home?

A. It depends! A business such as a home-based Bed & Breakfast and a beauty salon need a Conditional Use Permit, but other home-based businesses such as selling Tastefully Simple or Avon do not. To be certain, please contact City Staff, we will be delighted to assist in answering your question.

Q. Where can I get help preparing financial projections, marketing studies and loan applications?

A. Local Small Business Development resources are available. Call  at (763) 691-8585 or e-mail to schedule a personal interview. For the SBDC at the East Central Regional Development Commission in Mora you can call Bob Voss at (320) 679-4065 or e-mail to schedule a personal interview. Both would be delighted to assist.

Q. Where can I get info about how to hire employees?

A. Call the Minnesota Department of Economic Security at (651) 296-6141 and ask for Publication DES-30.

Q. Where can I get info about small business taxes?

A. Call the Internal Revenue Service at 1 (800) 829-3676 for a free copy of "Small Business Tax Kit."

Q. Is there a document for a Start Up Business prepared by the State of Minnesota?

A. Yes, the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development has a guide called A Guide to Starting a Business in Minnesota.

For Additional Help and Information be sure to check out Tools for Business Success. This site has the answers to many of your business related questions.